The Panic Diet

Leaving Egypt to the Egyptians for a moment, why don't we extend the spirit of introspection and consider some of the more troublesome traits affecting our own culture?

After all, we have plenty of "political, economic, ethical, legal, and chemical" questions of our own to address. Starting with what the hell that is we're putting in our mouths. Do you really know where your food has been?

Now don't get me wrong, I ain't going vegetarian. Meat is too tasty. But I don't eat as much meat as I used to. Especially from fast-food establishments. I haven't eaten at Taco Bell in years, and my long-past experience with their food makes me wonder why anyone else still does. I mean, after one bite, even years ago, did anyone need a lawsuit's publicity to tell us that wasn't really meat in their products?

It is times like these that I realize that there are a lot of folks I share a country with that don't give a passing thought to the food they put in their mouths, where it came from, or what it does to their bodies. What are their motivations causing them to fill their bellies with some artificially flavored protien paste? Response to advertising? Convenience? The food looks tastier in the commericals for a reason. The locations are set up where they are for a reason. Branding works for a reason. But doesn't reality set in once you open the bag you recieve from the drive-thru? Doesn't the whole sham come undone when you taste the blandness and chew? How about later, when you can't sleep and are taking prescription antacids for heartburn? When, in the course of the consequences, do you learn?

.