A Bad Situation Getting Worse

Georgia is ready to go. Louisiana's governor has asked to arm volunteer companies. That's all we need. "Volunteer" platoons of men running around Baton Rouge and New Orleans at night with guns, and secession fever on the mind. Who thinks this is a good idea?

Reasonable men I have known my whole life as conservative and humble have turned into gun-wearing, torch-waving lunatics.

A lot of folks up North seem to think this thing can be stopped. I did too, not so long ago. Some of them want to send Millard Filmore to argue for peace.

I hate to break it to y'all up in New Jersey and New York - the South isn't listening anymore. I hate to admit to myself that we haven't been listening for a long, long time.

This is how it feels, watching a nation that you loved die before your eyes, and with absolutely nothing that can be done about it.

.